San Diego Zoo followed by a Lobster Dinner

It's always nice when the hotel has breakfast, and even nicer when they offer hard boiled eggs and a waffle maker.
DSC02482
That was just the breakfast I needed before a fun day out at the San Diego Zoo.

This is an amazing zoo.  If you have never been, you must check it out.  We started off with the bus tour, which gave us a great view of everything and helped us plan our day around the zoo.  

Here are some of the many pictures I took.  I think the pictures speak for themselves.
DSC02483 DSC02486DSC02489 DSC02494DSC02498 DSC02500DSC02502 DSC02510DSC02512 DSC02521DSC02523 DSC02526 DSC02528 DSC02529DSC02534 DSC02537DSC02540 DSC02541DSC02544 DSC02549 DSC02557 DSC02574DSC02591 DSC02599DSC02602
After a great first half of the day at the zoo, we headed to the Gaslamp Quarter and grabbed a bite to eat.

Since some places were closed or closing, we had limited choices, but that did not stop us from finding Cafe 21, which was a great pick.
DSC02603
Since I was not driving, and it was well after noon, I decided to try their pineapple sangria.  It was awesome.  They had a lot of varieties, but this looked the best to me.  I definitely recommend them for their happy hour, or just for a fun meal.
DSC02604
Joe had a nice sandwich.
DSC02605
My mom stepped it up and had some fruity french toast for lunch.  Yum!
DSC02606
I could not resist when I spotted this on the menu:
DSC02607
Oh heck yes to poached eggs on top of shrimp and corn cakes!

The afternoon was spent with shopping and resting before my mom and I headed to a much needed lobster feast.  We walked by The Spot the day before and noticed they advertised a 3 course lobster meal for only 24.95.
DSC02608
You really can't beat that, and my mom and I are all about enjoying some lobster when we can.

The place was really cute and not to far from the ocean, which always makes the lobster dining experience all the more enjoyable.

The first course was the salad.  I was happy to be getting in some veggies.
DSC02609
Then we bibbed up for the lobster.
DSC02611
Not a bad looking lobster plate.  Nope, not bad at all!
DSC02614
It was very good and lots of fun to get down and dirty with the little guy.  It was a good amount of lobster, especially for the price.
DSC02615
The meal was followed by this delicious bread pudding.  We didn't realize we liked bread pudding so much until we tried this one.
DSC02619
What another great and amazing day vacationing with my family.

In case you are wondering, FNCE is over and I am back in Japan.  Just working on getting caught up on everything, including my posts from those 2 weeks in California.  I just didn't have that much extra time to get around to blogging.  But, I am back, so stay tuned for more Cali posts.  I took tons of fun pictures.

QUESTIONS:  What is your favorite zoo?  Ever been to the SD zoo?  What's your favorite animal to see at the zoo?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been to the SD zoo...circa 1995 :) My favorite animal = ELEPHANTS!! I don't think I have a fave zoo - not Bmore, that's Fo Sho! The national zoo is nice!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks like a very fun and tasty day! I really want to try to make the shrimp and corn cakes with poached eggs... Sounds perfect!!!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

When I was growing up I seriously hated the zoo. I think it had something to do with the fact that we had our only waterpark RIGHT next to our zoo, so I was always jealous of the kids who were at the water park..... I just don't have the patience to walk around and look at animals. I know now I would appreciate it more. Actually Nick and I try to go to the zoo for the Christmas lights every year, and that's a lot of fun. We don't get to see all the animals, but enough of them!
Mmmmm....lobster.....YUMMMM

Post a Comment