Wine and Cheese

On Marie's third day here we took a drive along the Northern coast, which then turned into a trip almost all the way around the island.

Here are some shots off the northern coast.
We headed up the northern coast to go specifically to Biscoitos, where there is a wine museum.  These are some pictures I took while we were there.  Since it was early in the day and many people were out getting ready for Carnaval, we had a ncie private tour of the grounds.
Could you imagine stomping on grapes on this and then it would drain down that piece off the side, and would go into a bucket.  Yep, they do actually do that here in September for a wine festival.
My wedding boquet was the same flower, but in red.
It's winter now, but these would be vineyards, or the areas for the grapes.  The rock keeps it at the temperature.
Here is some tobacco...
and in the old days it would be rolled in a dried corn husk like this.
Some traditional dress from the old days.
Wine press.
Screws for the wine press and jugs.
Clay bowls that were used to drink fresh wine.
A wine sample and what is called a Japanese Rose, but it has another name that I just can't remember.
Biscoitos also has amazing natural swimming pools.  Yes, they built stairs leading right into the ocean.
Can't remember which town we stopped in for this shot, but this is a top of a beautiful church.
Still heading around the island.
Look at the wild life.  I was amazed he was just standing there.  In the states it was deer, but never a big goat looking thing like this guy.  I think he almost camaflouges with the forest, and I am guessing that was the point.
Then we made our way to the complete otherside of the island and went to a cheese factory.  I mean cheese does go great with wine!
Here they are making the cheese.
Then we had samples.  I bought a wheel of the middle cheese.
What a neat truck!
This is the actual building of the cheese factory.
Dinner that night was at Sabores do Chef in Praia.  Goat cheese and jam...
herbed butter...
bread...
olives with goat cheese...
cheese...
Verdelho wine made on this island.  This is not from the winery we went to, but this is the kind made on the island.  This was pretty good.  We actaully have a bottle of this at home.  Really, at about ~$14 a bottle you can't go wrong.
Marie got a seafood dish with potatoes.  I think it was a house specialty.  I think this was actually the seafood cataplana which is a cream sauce with bacon mixed in, and then the seafood.
Ryan and I both ordered the grilled wreckfish.
Coffee, which means dessert is not far behind.
Pineapple flambeed.  Yea, not so sure how to spell that one.  You know what I mean, pineapple soaked in alcohol and set on fire.  The local pineapple is really sweet.  Oh, and it had ice cream on top too.
Well, I am finially getting back into my routine.  That also means in a day or so I should be able to catch up on all of your blogs.  I miss being able to comment, but I have been reading when I can on my iPhone, I just can't comment that way.  I guess if I logged in I could.  Oh well, I promise I have not forgotten about you and I hope everyone hasn't forgotten about me. 

QUESTION:  Have you ever been to a cheese factory or watched someone make cheese?

16 comments:

Mari said...

I love when you post pics of different restaurants that you go to out there...everything always looks so great!

Unknown said...

NOM NOM NOM

MelissaNibbles said...

Fun day! The tour looks fun and interesting and the food...amazing!

Astra Libris said...

A wine tour, a cheese tour, and gorgeous pineapple all in one day?? HEAVEN! :-) I love the photo of the goat! He's awesome!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing day! Cheese and wine..you can't go wrong with that.
I think I might have seen someone make cheese when I was younger like with a school tour.

FoodFitnessFreshair said...

Oh how I love pictures of pretty sites and pretty food displays! I like the flower of choice for your wedding...pure innocent beauty.

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) said...

Aw what a fabulous day.. amazing pics, once again!!

When I was in Seattle last summer, I watched cheese being made at Pikes Place Market..it was very intriguing.. so much work!

Melissa said...

Wow, looks like you're really treating Marie to an amazing visit! I've never been to a cheese factory, but I'd like to go. I'm sure the process is really interesting. :)

sophia said...

That's my dream vacation. to go tour a cheese factory, say hello to the cows, the farmers, and of course, indulge in some fresh-made cheese!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

YUM! that looks so delicious and amazing as well! what a great experience! I have never been to a cheese factory before!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! It's nice to be able to envision a bit what your life there is like. It looks beautiful! And how fun to see the vineyard and cheese factory! What a fun-packed day!

Unknown said...

Oh man! I LOVE CHEESE! I wanna go taste cheese and wine all day! What's a daily budget if you're on vacation there? That would be an interesting thing to throw in your blogs! Are many of these tours free or do you pay for them? I'm really in awe and jealous of your travels all over the island...though it seems like so much fun and excitement all the time-always something going on! I thought about you yesterday when I saw crepes and that harvest lady at the farmer's market. Keep making me drool.....Love the blog!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Nick was just drooling over the pineapple and ice cream combination, it looks yummmmmy. I love how you always find such historical places to visit, and post about! I think it would be need to see cheese being made, but I have never been to such a place. I can just imagine how fresh and delicious it must have tasted. I loved the giant rock they used for pressing wine, so cool! I want one of those in my back yard, please :)

Simply Life said...

WOW what an incredible experience!

Shannon said...

What a beautiful place! I love the shot of the stairs built going into the ocean.

I'm glad you are having so much fun and adventure while your friend is visiting :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Wine & cheese! There is nothing better! I love all your photos. Simply beautiful. I would love to visit a cheese factory...

Post a Comment