A taste of home

Nothing says Maryland like some CRAB SOUP!!!

This was one of their healthier varieties so it was slightly lower in sodium than most soups. Overall the nutrition label on this soup is pretty good for what it offers. I am originally from Maryland, so many summers were spent enjoying crabs. In fact before we moved overseas this past summer we enjoyed a nice crab feast with family and friends. So, when I saw this soup at the commissary i bought a can to save for when I really wanted a taste of home.


It was good, but not as good as the real thing. Obviously in Maryland I have had much better crab soup, but this was pretty good for a lower sodium canned version.
I also wanted something crunchy to go along with it, so I tried these little crisps which I purchased the other day at the local grocer.
They were actually really good. They are high in fiber and I think one (yes, the label was hard to read since it isn't in my language) has 35 calories.
Now for a not so good review. Yesterday when I headed off to work I grabbed this bar I bought over the weekend. When I bought it I read the label and I was aware that the first ingredient was chocolatey coating (I'm not kidding) and that the first ingredient of that was sugar. So I already knew this was a candy bar, not an "energy bar". But I wasn't feeling well and this was my only option for a bar like snack that I could throw in my purse. I mean at least it has some vitamins and minerals in it, it is a fortified "energy bar".
So here is what it looked like on the inside. Nothing to write home about! Seriously, it didn't even taste good for a glorified candy bar. I would have been happier with a snickers at this rate. Plus, it was packed with fat, and 4.5 grams were saturated. I wouldn't have even finished it but it was all that was available at that time on my quick break and I knew I needed to eat something. Too bad 30 minutes later I thought I might pass out from hunger and low blood sugar. Boy am I glad I have some lara bars on the way.
So of course I am thankful that my breakfast this morning did not only taste better than that bar, but it will probably last longer and give me more energy. I had a whole wheat bagel (which provided me with a nice 6 grams of fiber...not bad for a frozen bagel) and I topped it with almond butter and some red raspberry jelly. It was delicious and I am thinking I may be full still when I comes lunch time.
QUESTION: Is there any special food that your hometown (or state) is well known for?

8 comments:

Beth said...

Well, since my hometown is the same as yours, it's gotta be crabs!

And don't you have a can of Old Bay around there somewhere to spice that stuff up ;-) I know Old Bay is just seasoned salt (thus defeating the nutrition of the healthy soup) but I thought Marylanders were required to carry a can of it when the moved out of state.

Anonymous said...

Yumm eats, those Krisprolls look really good!

I used to live in Pittsburgh PA and they are known for their massive pastrami sandwiches with fries piled on top. YUM. (jk) I always avoided them. They are quite popular, though. Before the hub went meat free, he was a fan!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Yum, crab soup! I have never tried the crab soup from CAmpbells, or MAryland for that matter. It looks really tasty. Columbus is known for their spicy sausages called Bahama Mamas! Over the summer they are at many cookouts. They are amazing, and full of FAT! I have at least 2 or 3 per summer, so worth it.

Unknown said...

it says "Maryland-Style" and it came from a can - you should have known it was going to suck :)

my hometown is famous for HONS and BOHS...and crabs.

Astra Libris said...

Ooooh, thank you for telling me about the crab soup! I'm going to look for it on my next grocery trip! :-)

I love the photo of your bagel with the swirls of jam - SO gorgeous! Pure food art...

I think Louisiana is similar to Maryland in its glorious seafood bounty... :-) Hooray for crabs and crawfish!!

Melissa said...

The soup looks great! I'm not a fan of any Powerbars really. I think they're too high in sugar and calories. If I'm going to eat that many calories, I want a meal.

I live in Boston and we're known for our baked beans and chowda!

chow and chatter said...

so happy you found food from home, I like British tea!

Anonymous said...

My hometown in Singapore. Chicken rice! Char kway teow! Fried Carrot cake! Satay! Laksa! Rojak! Haha, do you even know what I'm talking about? Sorry...Got too excited thinking about the glorious food!

Post a Comment